Please note: Financial aid applications for the 2018-19 school year received by February 15, 2018 are given preference. Applications received after Feb. 15 will still be considered as long as funds remain. You must submit an admissions application either before or along with your tuition aid application to be considered for a tuition aid award at Friends School of Minnesota.
Friends School is committed to an economically diverse student body and welcomes the opportunity to provide financial support to families who need it to help send their children to the school.
The school allocates more than $500,000 each year devoted to tuition aid and that money currently supports 33.7% of our student body with an average aid award of $9,573. The criterion for tuition aid is financial need. The school expects families to finance their children’s education to the extent that they can.
We use School and Student Services (SSS) to process financial aid applications. SSS is a service of the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS). Based on the financial information you provide, SSS gives us an estimated amount your family can contribute to educational expenses. This helps us make fair and objective financial aid decisions.
Other resources about FSM tuition aid:
- Full Overview of Tuition Aid at Friends School of Minnesota
- former head of school Lili Herbert's blog post: Understanding Tuition Assistance
How to Apply for 2018-19
Starting November 1, 2017, go to the SSS website at sss.nais.org/parents. Click on the green button "Apply Now" to enter your Parent Financial Statement (PFS).
Financial aid applications are due February 15, 2018
- A guide on how to set up an SSS account and log into the family portal
- SSS customer service and mailing address
- A handy step-by-step flyer: How to Apply for Financial Aid
- Learn more about SSS methodology: SSS/NAIS Family Guide to Financial Aid
- Parents' Financial Statement (PFS) Work Book and Instruction Booklet
- FSM Tuition Aid FAQ
Required documents to be uploaded directly to SSS:
You may upload required documents electronically to your PFS. Your 2017-18 application will not be processed until all your documents are posted online at SSS.
Read what SSS says about managing required documents. Helpful hints!
- Parent Financial Statement (PFS) fill out online at http://sss.nais.org/
- Completed 2017 taxes and all 2015 W-2's, 1099's and all other schedules and forms
- If you are applying for tuition aid for the first time, ALSO submit copies of all 2016 tax forms and schedules
- If you are MAILING your documents, you need a Required Documents COVER SHEET . If you upload your documents to SSS, you do not need this cover sheet. SSS mailing address
Call SSS (800) 344-8328 with any questions (Mon - Fri: 9 a.m. - 8 p.m. EST. Sat: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. EST)